About

Old Bethpage Village is more than a collection of historic houses. A knowledgeable staff of costumed interpreters brings the buildings to life with facts and stories about the houses and the people who occupied them.  Visitors can enjoy root beer and pretzels at the Noon Inn bar, and purchase candy sticks at the Layton store. Just down the road the ring of the blacksmith’s hammer can be heard, while across the way the hatter is putting the finishing touches on a gentleman’s hat. Elsewhere ladies are sewing and knitting, candles are being made, and the potter is shaping clay into fine ceramic pieces. You will also find carpentry, tinsmithing, wood working and other historic crafts. And children of all ages will be thrilled when they arrive at the Powell farm where they will encounter an assortment of farm animals.

 

Throughout the seasons there are special events to celebrate holidays or focus on specific 19th century activities and themes. Two of the most popular are the Civil War encampment weekends and Old Time Base Ball games played using 1860 rules and equipment. Other events include a traditional music weekend, Easter Village, Decoration and Independence Day celebrations, Halloween events in October and Candlelight Evenings in December. The premiere event of the year is the Long Island Fair, a traditional country fall agricultural fair. People from across Long Island enter their crafts, produce, flowers and culinary creations to compete for a blue ribbon. Entertainment, livestock, contests and more make this a not to be missed event.

Schenck House

Built c. 1730; restored to c. 1765.

Originally located on Shelter Rock Road in Manhasset.

Hewlett House

Built c. 1795; restored to c. 1840.

Originally located on Piquet Lane in Woodbury.

Conklin House

Built c. 1820; restored to 1853.

Originally located at the Village of the Branch in Smithtown. 

Dr. Searing House

Built c. 1795; restored to c. 1815.

Originally located on Henry Street in Hempstead.

Layton General Store

Built 1866; restored to 1866.

Originally located near the intersection of Routes 25A and 106 in East Norwich.

Luyster

Built c. 1820; restored to c. 1840.

Originally located near the intersection of Routes 25A & 106 in East Norwich. 

Noon Inn

Built c. 1840; restored to c. 1850.

Originally located at the crossroads of East Meadow Avenue and Prospect Avenue in East Meadow.

Kirby House

Built 1839; restored to c. 1845.

Originally located near the intersection of Clinton and Front Streets in Hempstead.

Benjamin House

Built 1829; restored to 1829.

 

Originally located on Sound Avenue in Northville.

School House

Built 1826; restored to c. 1845.

Originally located near present day Manhasset Valley Park.

Manetto Hill Church

Built 1857; restored to 1857.

Originally located on Old Country Road in Manetto Hill (now Plainview).

Hat Shop

Built c. 1810; restored to c. 1830.

Originally located on Old Middle Country Road in Middle Island.

Blacksmith Shop

Built c. 1875; restored to c. 1875.

Originally located at the North East corner of Old Country Road and Duffy's Avenue in Hicksville.

Ritch House

Built c. 1810; restored to c. 1830.

Originally located on Old Middle Country Road in Middle Island.

Cooper House

First section built late 1600's; restored to c. 1815.

Originally from Hempstead.

Lawrence House

Built c. 1770; restored to c. 1820.

Originally located on 14th Avenue in College Point, Queens.

Williams House

Built c. 1820; restored to c. 1860.

Originally located on Old Court House Road in New Hyde Park.

Powell House

First section built c. 1750; restored to c. 1855.

Original to the property.

© 2017 by OBVR Proudly created with Wix.com